My Top Articles for Writers
Hi! I’m Holly Lyn Walrath and I’m a poet, editor, writer, publisher, and freelancer. My poetry and d short fiction has appeared in Strange Horizons, Fireside Fiction, Daily Science Fiction, Luna Station Quarterly, Liminality, and Analog. I am the author of Glimmerglass Girl (Finishing Line Press, 2018), Numinose Lapidi (in Italian, Kipple Press, 2020), and The Smallest of Bones (Clash Books, 2021).
I’ve been writing on Medium for a long while now, so I decided to create an index of all my most popular articles on writing. These go as far back as 2017! I’ll do my best to keep this list updated as I keep writing.
- Finding Your Voice as a Writer
- Resources for Submitting Writing
- How to Organize Your Writing Drafts with Inspiration from Marie Kondo
- Writing Successful Book Reviews
- Simple Steps for Promoting Short Fiction and Poetry
- Not Sure How to Market as a Writer? Get a Pet.
- How to Hook a Reader on the First Page
- Are Writing Contests Worth Entering?
- Creatives, You Need to Slow Down
- The Hardest Part of Being an Editor
- My NaNoWriMo Was a Mess
- The End of the Year Sometimes Sucks for Creatives
- Tricking Yourself into Writing: Simple Hacks to Help You Write Every Day, with Help from J.R.R. Tolkien
- Reluctantly Writing About Death
- NaNoWriMo Isn’t Just for Books: Write Anything You Want in 30 Days for NaNoWriMo
- Does Publishing Short Stories Matter?
- The Writing Life: An Infographic
- 40 Writing Milestones to Celebrate
- Queries, Contributors, and Common Terms
An A-Z glossary for submitting writing
- Fighting Self-Rejection and Imposter Syndrome
- Switching Genres: How to move from writing “realism” to “speculative” genres
- Creating a Writer’s Mission Statement
- Submitting Short Fiction: Literary/Realism Edition
- These are a Few of My Favorite Rejections
- Submitting Short Fiction: Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Genre Edition
- Forming a Critique Group 101
- Art is Love
- Creating an Environment Where You Have License to Try New Things
- Working with a Freelance Editor to Boost Your Writing Career
- Taking Back Time for Writing: Digital Detox
- The Art of Receiving Criticism
- Ten Ways I’m Learning to Be a Better Writer
- Art as a Way into Writing: How ekphrastic collaborations can inspire your words
- Developing a Daily Writing Practice
- How to Prep for NaNoWriMo in Seven Days
- 10 Twitter Bots to Follow for Writing Inspiration
What topics would you like to see me cover? Drop me a line in the comments and I’ll see if I can write about your topic!